Tuesday, December 21, 2010

On the 7th day of Christmas

I have a little dysfunctional relationships with novels. When I start a book I don't get anything else done until I get to the end of the book. I love to get lost in the world of a book, in the emotions of the characters, the energy of the adventure. Right now I'm on the library waiting list for the last Fablehaven book.

Scott has read them with me. It's been SO fun for me to have him read them right after me. Every time he laughs I want to know what he laughs about. We talk about the characters and theories and twists in the plot. We are both itching to read the last book.

In the meantime I've started re-reading the Harry Potter series and I've picked up the 13th book in the Wheel of Time series - both are series that have had me hooked at one point or another. The problem with my dysfunctional relationship is even if I really don't like a book once I've started it, I have to finish it. So I've become kind of picky about starting books for fear they will be bad and my personality will force me to finish it anyway. Any good suggestions?

5 comments:

Liz Odle said...

I am the same way Britta, and it's a slight problem because when I'm reading a book I don't get housework done. So the dishes stack up and the laundry doesn't get folded and the kitchen and laundry room and all other rooms of the house turn into disaster areas and then when I'm done reading my book I'm sad because now I have to get back to real life and my housework and I'm also sad because my book is over. So I end up being kinda depressed. Oh well I still LOVE reading books. I'm always looking for a good series I'll have to keep Fablehaven and Wheel of Time in mind.

nettie said...

i love books too, but don't have a problem putting them down if i don't like them. i've done that a lot lately.

i just read the 2nd fablehaven book, and i enjoy these books but there's something missing in them for me. i'm trying to love them...but I don't think I am connected to the characters or something. What do you think??? are the first two less than the last ones??

I always talk jeff into reading a good book once i'm done, it is fun.

have your read the hunger games series. i loved them, well I haven't read the last one yet. I like to spread them out i guess.

britta said...

Fablehaven is like candy reading to me. Nettie, I wouldn't say there is much difference between the books relative to character development, etc. I liked the character of Seth. I think my favorite of the four so far is the fourth.

I have read the Hunger Games. The last one is a little more convoluted then the rest. It kind of depressed me.

Liz, I should warn you about the Wheel of Time. I have a love hate relationship with them. The world they create is amazing and unique. The writing style of Robert Jordan got stale to me around book 5 or 6, and he started introducing too many pointless characters. However, after he died Brandon Sanderson took over for the last three books and it really picks up the series at the end in my opinion.

Megan said...

Peter and Starcatchers. It's a young adult read about Peter Pan and how he came to be. They are fun and fast to read. I think there are 4 in the series.

nettie said...

hmmm...other good books i have read lately.

the help
a tree grows in brooklyn
the best christmas pageant ever (read it b4 christmas, even better than the movie)
follow the river
life of pi
the book theif

(these are all in a way different genre than fablehaven/harry potter