Sunday, October 05, 2008

Putrid Petrol Prices

The title is meant to be provocative.
How much does gasoline cost where you are?

At the station down the street, gasoline prices have steadily fallen as the summer has ended (minus an $0.11 one-day jump for hurricane Ivan) and now prices are at $3.09 last I checked.  When we left Utah valley in July, gasoline there was at $4.15/gal and when driving to MO we saw it for as much as $4.25/gal.

Because we live in a small town now, we are driving less time and less distance so we don't fill up as much, and I'm guessing that our gas bill as about half of what it was in Utah per month, (this includes our trips to Nauvoo to go to the temple).

I can't believe what I'm about to say: $3.09/gal gasoline feels nice (relatively).

When Britta and I got our new (to us at the time) car almost four years ago we got gasoline for $1.69/gal.  And we were so upset when gas jumped to over $2.00/gal the next summer.

So, have gas prices affected you guys?  How much are you currently paying?  I suppose it could be worse . . . but I REALLY don't wish it to get worse...

12 comments:

Valerie said...

We're paying around $3.39/gal right now. When it was closer to 4 dollars, it made me get in the habit of thinking, "Is this errand worth $5?"

Even though gas prices have fallen, I still find myself combining small trips into town and venturing to far away places less (like the 20 miles to Costco, 40 miles into DC or to visit James at work).

Scott said...

One of the nicest things about our move is that gasoline here in MO was about $3.60 at the time it was $4.15 in UT. It was an instant plus.
We were excited to make short day trips to Kansas City, or St. Louis, or even Columbia, but really, we are scared of the fuel costs associated with such a trip. We rarely leave town now, except to go to the temple.

Jon said...

Here in the Silver State we are paying between 3.50 to 3.60/gal. I hope the prices and everything stabilizes soon!!

Alisha said...

we're pretty much the same as jon. i too limit my trips to town or even the local grocery shopping. mostly b/c it's too hard with two babes but gas is a part of it.

Amy said...

Back here in Utah gas is still higher than you've got it. Today when I checked it was $3.47.

I've never been one for using a lot of gas, even when it was $1.69. I combine EVERYTHING possible into one trip. We fill up our tank about once a month.

nettie said...

I'm not positive what the prices are right now, the last time i filled up was right after the hurricane, and I didn't care how much gas cost, I just wanted a full tank. I think we are around $3.10ish maybe $3.19.

nettie said...

oh, and i don't think gas prices are ever going to go down. I think $3.00+/gallon is here to stay...

Scott said...

Nettie, I definitely agree with you about $3.00 gasoline. Surprise, though: this morning gas was at $2.96/gal

nettie said...

awesome!

Megan said...

Atlanta ran out of gas for two weeks so there were gas lines everywhere. People would wait an hour to fill up their tank. During that time gas was about $4.60 now I think it's about $3.99. We use the train as much as possible and that helps a ton.

Scott said...

$2.73 today. Wow.

Ryan said...

Scott,

Some big oil tycoon in a black top hat smoking a cigar while driving a boat powered by dolphins is laughing at the fact that $3.09"feels nice."