Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nauvoo


With the last sane weekend I anticipate having in a long time (Labor day weekend before my first tests this week) Britta and I took a trip to visit the Nauvoo temple and "Old Nauvoo" with our new, good friends, Emily and Stephen Stacey.

We live about 90 or so miles from Nauvoo, and we are in fact in the Nauvoo Stake and Temple district, so this is likely the first of many temple trips to come.  The drive is fairly nice, with a few small towns sprinkled along the rural highway to keep your speeds down, and the drive lasts about two hours.

After participating in the 9:00 session (which we agreed was perhaps one session too early as we left at 6:15 am - it made for a long day), we went down to Old Nauvoo to visit the sites.  We ran into an old friend of Britta's at the visitor's center who was serving as a full-time missionary.  We had a great time and even bought 'World Famous Red Brick Store Rootbeer', (which ranks ahead of Mug, Barq's, and A&w, and perhaps better than IBC, but not quite as good as Henry Weinhart's).  We hit all the 'favorite' sites where you get free handouts: the bakery (for a gingerbread cookie and recipe), the blacksmith's (for a prairie diamond ring), and the brick yard (for a commemorative brick - which was also being sold at the Red Brick Store for $2.75, but we got ours at no cost).

All said, it was a great day, capped off by a good football game, but we were EXHAUSTED by the end of it all.

12 comments:

nettie said...

nauvoo is great. the temple is beautiful, how fun to be in it's temple district.

I do disagree with you on the rootbeer (kinda).

my ranking on rootbeer (that you can buy from a store):
1. henry weinharts
2. a&w
3. mug
4. barq's
5. everything else
6. IBC (I really don't like it.)

Alisha said...

that temple is soooo pretty!! i love it.
sounds like a great (busy) day.

Amy said...

My favorite rootbeer is A&W draft from the restaurant.

How neat that you got that opportunity! Glad you had a good time.

Scott said...

Nettie, I do agree with you. IBC is down there, but I would have to put it above Barq's and Dad's. I don't especially like the 'bite'. I just didn't want to be labeled an "IBC hater" because there are many loyalists out there. Do you consider yourself a connoisseur? I kind of do.

)en said...

Did you see Sister Andrea Cartwright??

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jen, I did! And we talked about you...

I'm looking forward to your next posts. A week-ish is a long time to go without a dose of Jen.

Valerie said...

I love Nauvoo. Sounds like a great trip.

I was going to tell you...if you ever need a place to stay in Nauvoo, my parents would host you anytime.

Scott said...

Oh! I completely forgot about that. Thank you for the offer and the idea. . . I may just do that sometime, though not every time.

Jamie and Julie said...

Knowing this was Scott posting about the Nauvoo experience, I can't help but think he's talking about the football game between Michigan and Utah. :) The BYU game had a pleasing result as well.

It's nice that you are able to go to Nauvoo for your temple experience.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

The Utah/ Michigan game was a great game, very fun to watch the highlights of. The BYU game (i'll get some guff for this) was really quite boring, though the outcome was definitely favorable. Honestly, my favorite game to watch this weekend was the second half of the UCLA/Tenn game. It was like night and day. I am very excited for these next two weeks for UW and UCLA. Go Cougs! (and go Utes until Nov 23; and Fresno must lose)

)en said...

aww, thanks man. Pics of the trip will be up very very soon!

So cool you got to see Andrea!