Sunday, August 10, 2008

Water Fun

Being a Minnesota native, I was raised believing that everyone had a cabin on a lake in northern MN, or at least access to one. I believed that the only fulfilling vacation included swimming, preferrably in a big lake with fun swim toys. I was also raised believing that the more family that could go with you, the better. Scott, on the other hand, has always had a fear of water. He sinks. I was delightfully pleased to discover that after spending time in my childhood version of vacations, some of the "up north Minnesota" has rubbed off on Scott. Not only did he overcome his fear of swimming in large bodies of water, by the end of the week he was racing me in the water... and winning! Not only that, he mastered captaining the rented pontoon boat. Here is his suave picture at the helm:
And here is one of the coolest "fun swim toys" for the perfect vacation - a 6-person floating trampoline in 20+ feet of water:
This is one of my favorite pictures of the whole trip - my niece Leanna:
The whole fam:


6 comments:

Alisha said...

is the water freezing?
good for scott. there is a world of fun to be had on the water.

Mom and Dad Pete said...

Looks like fun and games. Yea for cott---I never knew that he was afraid of anything!

Valerie said...

Funny. I asked James if he knew that Scott was afraid of the water and he had no idea either. Guess he hid it well!

Scott said...

Okay, I need to clear some things up here . . .
Firstly, I am not afraid of swimming. I, however, never considered myself a good swimmer at all. Also, as I have demonstrated to Britta, I sink in water. Really. I cannot float on water at all. The only way to keep my head above the water is to frantically flail my limbs, and even then my breathing parts get easily waterlogged.
Secondly, yes I am afraid of water. Not just any water, though. Deep water. Long water. Let me explain, as this has to do with item #1, above. Being an admittedly poor swimmer I am deathly aware of my aquatic limitations. Though I can be fairly comfortable on a boat and enjoy time on the water, a general rule is the larger the boat, the more comfortable I am. Also, the closer to shore the more comfortable I am. Also, more shallow water = more comfort. I, for example, would have a difficult time in a rowboat on the Pacific ocean. Granted, that will never happen, but nonetheless this is about economies of scale.
Thirdly, (I'll make some enemies here) murky (or is is "mercury"- which, is a neurological agent, btw) Lake Lahontan was the nearest swimming hole (emphasis on "hole") to Fallon and I was worried about what I could get from the water. I have the feeling of algae between my toes, or anywhere, for that matter. Lake Tahoe, on the other hand, when I would get to it, I loved and didn't have any trouble with the water there (minus the temp).
Lastly, having a phobia is normal. I have a phobia. Ergo: I = normal. Perfect.
(I actually don't have too strong of feelings about Lake Lahontan, but I thought a strong opinion would be provocative and elicit some responses because I like to read comments.
I have nothing more to say here.

Anonymous said...

Alisha, the water is cool when you first feel it, but two seconds after you immerse your body, the water feels warmer than the air. It's great!

Scott, I think the sheer length of your comment is evidence that the fear is valid...

Jamie and Julie said...

Thanks for your insight into the mind of someone growing up in Minnesota. My in-laws are from Wisconsin and I believe they had many summer outings as you have explained. They have a cabin now her in Utah and I understand better their passion for being there and using it so much.