Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Spring Gardening

When I was invited to plant spring bulbs in the reception center gardens, I imagined myself in a wide straw hat with a charming bandanna wrapped around it to keep me in the shade as I dutifully dug holes in the soil, making friends with the worms and potato bugs. Even though I was planting bulbs for spring, the beauty of the fall flowers already in full blossom would be my backdrop providing a sea of warm reds, yellows, and oranges. Perhaps I would sing an aria of Mozart's as birds and squirrels eagerly rushed to be by my side.

Unfortunately, I don't own a straw hat with a wide brim. Yesterday while planting what I'm sure will be beautiful tulips and daffodils, the temperature was around 45 degrees and it was pouring rain for the first two hours of gardening. I was amazed that I could still use my hands when each finger was an inch wider in circumference due to mud caked on my gloves. And that sea of fall colors as my backdrop had to be uprooted to make room for the new bulbs, so it was more like a pile of dirty greens, browns, and mud. Notwithstanding the adverse weather, I had a surprisingly delightful time gardening. I envy those of you who have your own yards and gardens. Someday...

No comments: