Friday, September 08, 2006

Home again, home again

While in Minnesota we celebrated the first birthday of one of my nieces. I was asked to make the cake, and I jumped at the opportunity cause I love cooking and being creative.

My mom thought it was so beautiful no one would want to eat it. Well, it turned out that the shortening in her kitchen that I used to make the frosting was rancid, so we ended up throwing away all the leftovers anyway. At least my niece got to keep the doll.

A big chunk of our time in Minnesota was spent on the north shore of Lake Superior. We camped and hiked and wandered a little in Duluth, a city that I love. The trees were just starting to color at the tips of the leaves. The temperature was perfect. The clouds were light and cool during our day hike, but fluffy and sparse while we were hanging out at the campsite. Over all it was a satisfying trip.


On our hike we were the furthest north that Scott has ever been.


The group that went on the day hike was a smattering of my immediate and extended family. My dad, on the left, was our fearless guide on this seven mile stretch of the Superior Hiking Trail. Doesn't he look the part?

2 comments:

nettie said...

Your cake looks AWESOME...bummer about the shortening.

Looks like a fun vacation...I wish we were up there on Lake Superior--out of the HEAT!

Kristen P. said...

I love the cake too! You are so talented. I wish!!!!

I don't know...something about Minnesota just makes me want to go there. I think it's because it's so GREEN? Did I say green? I'm not sure that I, a native Nevadan, know what green is.