Thursday, August 31, 2006

Minnesota State Fair



Today Scott and I went to the great Minnesota get together. I love the Minnesota State fair! I don't know if it's the crowds with endless people watching potential, the 27 different foods on a stick (this year the new one was "hot dish on a stick", hot dish is Minnesotan for casserole), or the smorgasborg of smells mixed together of fried food, autumn air, garbage, and farm animals. All of it is nostalgic to me.

One of the sights to see is the butter sculptures of Princess Kay of the Milky Way and her royal attendants. Each day a new bust is sculpted right there in front of everyone. Maybe they're a little creepy, but it's tradition. Plus, what beauty queen from a dairy farm wouldn't want a butter head of herself in her freezer?

Another tradition is to buy a bucket of fresh made cookies and bring them to the all you can drink milk stand, which is fresh, frothy milk, and have a cookie feast.

It's not a complete day unless at the end of it your feet are sore and your clothes fit a little tighter.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

How cool...I love the butter sculptures. It sounds like some great traditions. I'm glad you're enjoying your time since Scott joined you out there!

Jeff said...

That does sound like alot of fun. I I wish we were in Minnesota right now. I bet the temperatures are right nice this time of year.

Those sculptures are pretty cool. Did you guys try the deepfried twinkies for desert after the deep fried casserole? I hear they are good.

Scott...what's up with the WD thingy on your head. I thought you were at the Minnesota state fair...are you trying to get under the Minnesotans' skin by wearing items from their rival state?

Valerie said...

Is that room refrigerated? Melting butter heads could get a little ugly...

Scott said...

They keep the room a balmy 39 degrees. I wish they would let them melt. That would be an exhibit worth seeing, for sure!

James said...

mmmm..butter..now where is the roll?...

O'DOYLE RULES!