Friday, September 15, 2006

Sweet sound of middle C

After three wonderful years of marriage, Scott and I looked back and felt that something was missing. Both of us being musically inclined felt lost without a piano... so we got one! Scott found a posting in the newspaper selling a used digital piano for really cheap. We went to check it out and found it to be all that we wanted and in great working condition. Of course, it had little quirks, but nothing we were bothered by. So, we borrowed a truck, packed it up and brought it home. We carefully maneuvered it into our apartment and eagerly plugged it in...

Boom! was the only sound we heard as we switched on the power. None of the keys worked. None of the buttons worked. None of the plugs were loose. Scott unscrewed the top and started experimental surgery on the motherboard, plugging and unplugging. I got nervous and couldn't watch, so I left. An hour and a half later, he had no success. We both went to bed heartbroken and had restless dreams of broken pianos. The next morning Scott woke up and went straight to the piano and started tapping middle C. Then he turned on the power... "Ding, ding, ding, ding... " Middle C was sounding through the apartment as the sweetest wake up call I've ever heard.

We're not sure why or how the piano started working again, but it has quickly become the most cherished possession in our apartment, played on multiple times a day by either or both of us.


3 comments:

Valerie said...

We felt so great getting a piano this year too! A home is just not a home without one. And I don't even play much to speak of! Eliza is practicing her piano lesson as I write, and it really brings back childhood and the joys of music in the home. I'm excited for both of you!

Sarah Peterson said...

heck - I must be crazy cause me and Sarah don't play any instruments but we both want a piano! Thats crazy for me cause I remember hating hearing the piano when I was trying to sleep growing up!

Sarah Peterson said...

That last comment was me bytheway -- brett