Thursday, April 16, 2015

Flashback: Epic 5 year-old birthday cake

For Grace's 5th birthday, almost a year ago, she wanted a my little pony cake for months before. She wanted Twilight Sparkle. How on earth do you make a pony cake? Should I just do a square cake and frost a picture of Twilight on the top? Should I do a little figurine of Twilight, like I did with Hello Kitty? I pondered this for months. I know that sounds a little ridiculous.

At Grace's preschool, the birthday child was invited to bring cupcakes for snack time. This gave me two opportunities to do a fun twilight confection for Grace, so I took two approaches. In my mind, one was an epic win and the other was an epic fail. Either way, it was EPIC! I needed it to be epic, because I had just been hired at my new job and would start four days after her birthday. I needed this cake to count for at least two birthdays, since I knew I wouldn't be able to put as much time into her cakes in the future.

First, epic win: cupcakes!


I purchased edible black ink markers just for the occasion. They were adorable.


Now, the epic fail: the cake. Ok, maybe not so much epic fail, but I definitely bit of more than I could chew. I decided to sculpt Twilight Sparkle into a cake! The process was thrilling and terrifying. I don't even remember how much time it took. It was a labor of love, and I didn't care.

Now, before you see the picture, I need to warn you, the head fell off and smacked face first on the counter before I got a picture. For the picture's sake, and for the birthday song, I carefully balanced the head back on the cake and tried to quickly finish the mane to cover up some damage. I wasn't quite done with the mane, but compromised structural integrity forced me to make concessions. But, the face and ear did get squished, and I couldn't cover that up so well...


Grace didn't seem to mind. Look at that tongue, hungrily licking her lips.



As the situation has it, I'm not planning on making a cake for Grace this year. We have bigger plans in the works, which I no doubt will post about eventually. Just over two weeks until her 6th birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow seeing the cake in pictures is definitely more impressive than told by phone. We can hardly wait for the sequel on May 1st!

Unknown said...

If that's an epic fail . . .