Friday, May 01, 2009

A Day Off

This weekend I have Friday off from school. It is the last chance to escape before the last two weeks of class followed by a week of finals. All told, this is going to be a very busy time for me at school. With our baby's due date scheduled for the weekend right before finals, we wanted to have one hurrah before everything goes crazy on us. We pricelined a hotel in St. Louis just across the Mississippi River for two nights with some friends and planned to take off right after my anatomy lab Thursday afternoon. We packed our bags Wendesday night as I studied for a micro test.

Thursday morning I left for school at 5:30, took my test at 7:30, and met Britta at 9:00 at the OB's clinic where she brought me some breakfast (thank you!).

Later, I got a phone call from Britta updating me about her visit with her doctor. She was 50% effaced and dilated to 1cm. Her diastolic blood pressure was a little high and she had some protein leaking into her urine. They kept her a little while longer to do a "no stress" test for the fetus and a quick ultrasound. The baby is doing very well; just a little small for her gestational age and there is a little less amniotic fluid than normal. (Hey, we're talking baby here; 'little' makes sense - obviously my adjective of choice.) They ran some bloodwork and Britta started a 12-hr urine test right away so we still had hope of getting away, just a little later than planned.

The blood work came back a little off, and after bringing the urine sample into the lab, we got a call from Britta's doctor.
So now we're in our 'hotel' bed (or chair for me), and its not much of a hotel, so far as hotels go. I think that we would've slept better somewhere else; I don't think Britta got any sleep at all. So far as hospital's go, though, it does well. Our nurse through the night, Chris (I think short for Christine), was great.

Britta has had a few contractions, but just little ones. Because of the preeclampsia, we are following her blood pressure and blood work more closely, and there is a little bit more anxiety that we anticipated. However, at this time, I think the excitement of having a little Peterson earlier than expected is winning the day.

2 comments:

Laker said...

Wishing you three the very best!

K.E.N said...

I was induced because my amniotic fluid was too low. And he's fine. But good luck and we hope everything goes well. And I hope that you guys get to enjoy your weekend.