Friday, March 02, 2007

We made it!!!

As of today, I have been accepted to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I can't tell you what a relief it is to finally have an acceptance. I am still waiting to hear back from UNR and a final decision from Touro in Las Vegas, but with this acceptance in hand, at least we have a deadline in front of us as far as transitioning into our next phase of our lives and career. Whew! What a long and anxious wait it has been.

Just a few thoughts about the school . . .
from the website, "KCOM was the first institution of osteopathic education in the world and continues to provide leadership for comprehensive medical education, research, and healthcare. Consistent with the college's mission, KCOM is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report as one of the best medical schools in the country for rural and family medicine training."

My impressions: This easily had the best facilities of all the schools I interviewed with and I had the best experience here. In comparision, though UNR is an MD school, the class size there was about half as big as KCOM and the interview process seemed cold and detached to me. I do still hope to be accepted there, as well, to broaden our options, but we'll see.

Tuoro University in Vegas had the worst facilities, but perhaps the most prolific and charismatic staff. I really enjoyed my time there, though I felt as though I was in a warehouse at first.

I'll keep you all up to date as to any other news in this regard.
I know many of you prayed in our behalf and we are both truly grateful. About two and a half weeks ago, when everything was still unknown, I had a great feeling of comfort and peace regarding this decision from the Spirit, which was greatly needed. I am grateful, indeed. We love you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Scott! Hopefully you'll get accepted elsewhere to so that you have options as well.

Alisha said...

that is awesome!!! we are so proud of you. where is kcom? also, as much as i'd love you to go to vegas (closer to me) i've heard horrible stories of the hospitals there. are you still thinking ED? ED rules!!!

Alisha said...

oh, i really like the idea of OD anyway. i prefer to see ODs.

nettie said...

That's GREAT news! We are really happy for you! I am sure wherever you end up will be great and you will have wonderful experiences.

Sometimes not having options turns out okay too! If we had had options, we most likely wouldn't have ended up in Texas, and what a sad thought for us that would be. It's amazing where life (and the Lord) takes us...

James said...

Congrats Scott, after you graduate, come out to Fauquier Hospital for your residency...then you'll end up staying here forever like all the ODs and MDs in our Ward :) Warrenton is a beautiful town.

Anonymous said...

go to UNR... 1yr of KCOM will pay for 4 of UNSOM.....trust me.....both are good schools, but if you already live in NV, go there.....