Monday, March 26, 2007

Tech-regression

Two weeks ago, while at the library, Britta mentioned a problem with our display on the laptop. All the colors would go bad, the graphics would pixelate and we got an error message. It worked fine for a while after we restarted it . . .
But . . .
Not anymore! We are computer-less now, more than ever. (If you count not having internet as being computer-less, it practically is nowadays).
The funny thing is, the day we got the error message, I wondered if we had backed up our files. Now our computer won't even turn on.
Should we fix it? I think we need to get a quote . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it a dell? You don't get any power at all, even with it plugged in? I can give you a diagnosis and if it looks dire, I can pull out your hard drive and get you all your data at least...

Laker said...

My sympathies. After a funny install of an XP update from Microsoft last week, the computer went kind of tipsy and, after a few days, the OS finally went down. I spent a good portion of Sunday reinstalling the OS. Luckily, our data was all saved, but I had to reinstall every program so I could access the data. Needless to say, much of yesterday was spend backing up data.

Sounds like Brett is your man!

Alisha said...

this is my 2 cents. get brett to retrieve your files. then buy a new computer. you can get a desk top for 299 nowadays. of-course it won't be the "coolest" computer around, but its better than one that only works half the time and your crossing your fingers everytime you use it that i won't break. also, i bet that price isn't too far off what your quote would be. bummer deal though.

Amy said...

If Brett can't, I have a brother-in-law who fixes friends' computers in exchange for whatever you can do for him, i. e., my husband builds him shelves in his garage in exchange for him helping with our electronics.