Thursday, January 31, 2013

This Girl

This is a common reaction when I whip out the camera. "Smile Grace"

This girl is something else. I never really understood the old saying "Can't live with her, can't live without her" until I had Grace. She can send me on a roller coaster of emotions before breakfast! It's been far too long since I dedicated a post to Grace, so here goes.


Some days it takes every ounce of creativity and patience just to figure out how to communicate with her. She often over-reacts when she spills one drop of something on the table. One day when the offending liquid was milk, I tried to throw her off by being dramatic first. I said "Oh, NO! it's the END of the WORLD!" She looked at me a little like I was crazy and then calmly said, "It's not the end of the world! It's just a drop of milk! There's no space giant breaking apart the world that Jesus made. Don't worry." 

The metal lid was her shield and the shot was her sword. She was SO pleased with herself for coming up with this. Henry followed suit moments later with his own lid and a plastic spatula.

One day while Henry and I were putting together a puzzle, I invited Grace to join us. She said, "I'm busy. I'm having a ninja party with the Easter bunny. Mom, can you teach me how to do ninja?"

Whenever I put something in her hair she says, "I look gorgeous!" But she won't keep it in longer than an hour and she resists and runs away if it's not her idea in the first place.

Anything that happened in her memorable past (say the past few months) is referred to as "Last Morning." Examples, "Last morning, when we lived in our white house (in Utah)..." "Last morning, when it was Henry's birthday..." "Last morning when I was at church..."

Many, many mornings involve Grace waking up Henry, climbing into his crib, and exerting all sorts of powers of sisterhood domination. In this picture she was singing and dancing for him... while cornering him.

Grace: "Dad, can you make a snow angel in my Sprite?"
Scott: "No, your Sprite isn't snow and I wouldn't fit in your cup."
Grace: "But you can pretend my Sprite is snow and use your fingers to make a snow angel."

Grace loves friends. She calls every little kid within a few years of her age her friend. One night after we left a restaurant where she wanted to sit by "that boy who is my friend" but we were seated somewhere else, she sang for a few minutes, "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, I want a boyfriend." The next day she was still singing the song, but had added the line, "like Ca-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ndace." Maybe we watch a little too much Phineas and Ferb.

She makes up a myriad of imaginary friends since I can't seem to supply enough real friends for her. Some of the friends that have traipsed through our house: Ratatouille, Woody and Buzz, Hello Kitty and Clifford (normally together), Wreck-it Ralph (he joined our family after *ahem* he knocked down the Christmas tree... according to Grace), Baby Jack Jack, Meep (the cute girl alien, sometimes called Meem), and those are just the ones I remember. I'm sure there are dozens more.

Grace stood in this pose for at least a minute to make sure I got a picture of it. I have about five.
Grace isn't really into toys, but one of the toys that she has quite an attachment to is a small plastic glow-in-the-dark bat that was a Halloween favor. His name is Monkey Doo. It's so absurd I'm kind of laughing just thinking about it. He's been known by that name for months now and we've had him since she went through her bat phase which started around this post.

Grace still loves her blanket. She loves to cuddle. She loves to take a nap. She loves to suck her fingers, and she loves it when I tickle her. At church she had a lesson about things that make her happy and she came home with a picture titled "I am happy when... my mom tickles me." She sure knows how to push my buttons. What a girl. Can't wait to see what she's like as a teenager...

6 comments:

Galen said...

What a great post. As far as teen-hood goes, I have do doubt it will be a fascinating experience. What a darling character. I hope you are writing down her quotes.
Dad

Megan said...

Grace reminds me of Matt. They are different but he certainly knows how to push my buttons and has plenty of personality to go around. I pray for patience daily. Grace is sure cute.

P.S. I never commented a couple months back but I loved your Swedish traditions you started. Very cool.

StephenEmily Stacey said...

I love seeing new posts! And this one about Grace cracked me up! What a little goofball. You're a strong woman not to let that roller coaster of emotions not get you down. I find it hard to go back up after the emotions get me down.

Unknown said...

Ain't that the truth?! I also look forward to my girls' teenage years with trepidation.
This is a great post on Grace, definitely catches her whims and character. Things will never be predictable with Grace around. Good job Mom! Keep up the hard work! It'll be an entertaining adventure to watch who she grows into.

Unknown said...

By the way, I caught a glimpse of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe last night, and couldn't believe how much Lucy (Georgie Henley) resembles her!

K.E.N said...

Noah does the same thing with kids that he's never met-telling me they are his friends. And last night he was counting his friends and he counted himself...I guess it's good to count yourself among friends. And this post has inspired me-I'm stealing your idea.