Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Happy National Pancake Day!

I know what your thinking. What? National Pancake day? Isn't that a holiday invented by IHOP to sell pancakes? That's what I thought, too! But then I looked it up and it is real! So here's some random trivia for you: Fat Tuesday is also known as Pancake day because pancakes used up foods traditionally given up for lent, like milk, eggs and sugar.

But wait. Fat Tuesday was last week. Ok, so I guess IHOP does have some sway over the holiday.

Tangent: This morning I had a "mother" moment. As I was making pancakes I thought, hey, I should add some wheat germ to this to add more fiber. So I did! Ha, ha!

2 comments:

nettie said...

lol, my kids don't even know what a regular pancake tastes like... i always make them whole wheat with oats and flax seed, so i totally get your mom moment.

)en said...

WHAT! how could i have missed this. I have been concocting an idea for special pancakes and even did a trial-run ON the 23rd!!! too bad it wasn't the real deal. But still. I love pancakes. I also love whole wheat pancakes.