Saturday, February 09, 2008

Hobbies

Britta and I have been saving old jeans since we've been married in the idea for making a quilt. Our Freshman year of college Britta made me a blue jean quilt for Christmas, and it has remained my favorite blanket ever since. Once our collection of old jeans reached critical mass, Britta started on another. (Thanks to mom for lending us her sewing machine for this project.) Two and a half weeks, several pin pricks, and thread bobbins later, we have a new, multi-toned, super jean quilt, bigger and heavier than the previous. Britta made it large enough for both of us to fit under it comfortably, and so it is about 86"X72". We love it already. Thank you Britta!


With only a few months of normal life left before school starts again for me, I decided I would like to pick up a hobby. (I also think that this is spurred on by my day off when I don't have anything to do and my tendency to become awfully stir-crazy.) I have always had a dream of doing wood working, even furniture building, and having my own shop. This dream is quite impracticable now, or even in the near future, so I decided to start small. In south Provo on State Street is a woodcarving shop called Treeline, and visiting the store made me feel like a child in a candy shop. I picked out a couple of tools and a pattern for a wood chain and some wood blocks and so I'm off on a new hobby. I'll keep you updated on my progress and future projects, at least until time runs out for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val and Nettie, don't look too close, I don't think a single corner matches up.

Unknown said...

WOW! Way to go, Britta! It looks amazing! BTW, I was thinking about you today. I sure wish we lived closer so we could hang out. I really miss my sweet friend Britta.

nettie said...

it looks great britta!

my corners never match up--i like to think it gives my quilts character.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! I especially love the variety of colors. SO CUTE!
-val...don't know why i can't login today.

Mom and Dad Pete said...

That is awesome, Britta.
You guys must love life! Scott has a new hobby and so do you.