Sunday, February 03, 2008

Cancelled!

We awoke this morning to a snow storm. By about 8:30 four or five inches had acumulated. After spending the better part of two hours trying to keep the walks clear at the stake center, and another three inches adding up, church was cancelled. This is the first time in my living memory that church had been cancelled. So, instead of spending the time in church, I began to reread "Standing for Something," by President Gordon B. Hinckley. What a great book. Much of what was written seems especially insightful and prescient now, just as it did eight years ago when first published. The world seems to be such a different place than it was then.
On another note, Britta has spent a god deal of her time making a new quilt for us. . . pictures to follow. I won't say any more so I don't spoil her presentation party.

4 comments:

Karen K. said...

Wow. We had an accumulation of six inches a week ago when Sarah and Livie were here and our church was cancelled too. I'm not surprised by OUR church being cancelled (since our area gets snow like that only every few years and we're not equipped to plow roads, etc.) but I AM surprised at church being cancelled there. It must have been a fast and furious snowstorm! Even though I missed church it was pleasant to just not have to get up and go somewhere. :)

Amy said...

Sheesh, I think we're the only ward that actually HELD CHURCH yesterday! My sister's church was cancelled, as was the kids' church who carpool with my son.

Megan said...

We got church canceled when it snowed an inch the Saturday before church in Atlanta. For once Mike and I got to sleep in! We all got a kick out of it but I won't complain.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can remember church being cancelled quite a few times growing up. The usually unplowed, steep hill to get to the church building helped to facilitate this. We've had church cancelled the last few years too because of snow. One Sunday last winter, we didn't get that much, maybe a few inches, but the roads were absolutley treacherous.