Monday, August 20, 2007

Case Closed!

Overall, my time in jury duty was quite interesting. It takes way more focus than I realized, especially for a five day case. I had to pay rapt attention and take notes for ~7 hours a day, learning intimate details of the Plaintiff's life. Being wholly consumed by the information presented, it was an additional trial to not talk about it to anyone! (Not even my fellow jurors.) By the end of the week everything was reminding me of the case, I would dream about the case, I would constantly be thinking about it. After it was done I decided to type up a summary of the information presented to purge myself. If you're interested in reading about it, check here.

Here are some things I learned during jury duty:
  • Judges look bored most of the time, not avidly paying attention, like on TV.
  • Lawyers really are just actors who are hired to fight someone elses argument, at least in my case.
  • I think I would get depressed if it was my job to convince 9 people that the witness is a pathological liar. Who would want that as a job?
  • Jury duty can be really fun if you get along with your other jurors. I think our jury was exceptional. Seven out of nine had at least a college degree, or were working towards it. Everyone was friendly and talkative. Every time we had a break, we would find things to laugh about. Sometimes we would all enter the court with grins on our faces. The lawyers must've thought we were crazy.
  • When focusing on somewhat depressing things for hours on end, the strangest things become funny. I had to refrain from laughing several times during very serious discussions, just because of a facial expression or a gesture, or a completely unrelated thought in my head.
  • If you care anything about your health, pack your own snack food.

3 comments:

Britta said...

Elysa, after the trial the Plaintiff lawyer came back into the jury room with the judge to ask us a bunch of questions. He told us that lawyers never get on juries and they are fascinated by the jury process. It seems kind of funny to my that juries are a mystery to lawyers. Anyway, if you want to know more about my thoughts, let me know. I can shoot you an email or something.

Karen K. said...

I was called to jury duty last summer but didn't have to serve on a jury. You're right though, I can see where the jury can become pretty chummy. I just remember we all filed in and sat down in the courtroom and the lawyer swiveled around in his seat, twirled his pencil and just stared at us...each one individually. It was a little disconcerting and very, very funny (at that moment). It was all I could do not to laugh out loud so I understand about expressions and gestures, etc. I also almost laughed out loud when they asked if any of us were prejudiced about prostitution. Were they SERIOUS? Again, hard not to laugh... (I was really glad that I wore my Molly Mormon-type clothes that day...I was the first one voted off!) ;)

Anonymous said...

I just read your thoughts on this case- It was very interesting. Got to feel for the Plaintiff he sustained some serious injuries.