Monday, January 22, 2007

What's a normal kitchen?

In the past two months I've cooked in five kitchens. It can be so disorienting to cook in someone else's kitchen! I don't know where anything is and there's never all the same seasonings and ingredients I'm used to. In a couple of the situations there were foreign ingredients I didn't even know existed. It's been interesting to see all the possible food options out there and how each family has such a different approach to eating and cooking. "Normal food" can have very broad interpretations.

Right now Scott and I are staying with Scott's cousins, the Beans, while their parents are in Malaysia. One thing I'm grateful for while we're here is a dishwasher. I love our apartment and little kitchen, but I do miss a dishwasher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree.even though i'm not much of a cook, it's interesting to see the ingredients of others kitchens.

say hi to the cousins for me!

Kristen P. said...

Our dishwasher is the greastest contraption on earth! I don't even have to rinse the dishes before I put them in there. I just stick the dishes in with caked on yuck and they come out sparkling clean. It's not noisy either. The only thing it struggles with is cooked egg (like on the utinsel you used to cook the egg with) and occasionally lettuce will end up where it did not start out but...It's the best $XXX.XX we've ever spent! I'd rather clean the toilet than the dishes.