Thursday, January 18, 2007

un-Idol-ized


Do any of you watch American Idol? I've been a fan for a few years, but I was disappointed with the first couple episodes. First of all, they seem to be dragging on the bad auditions more than in past years. Now you not only see the bad song, but the discust in the judges faces and body language, the awkward pleas by the clueless bad singer to sing another song, the patronizing insults from the judges, the shuffling exits where the singer always tries to escape out the locked door, the judges humorlessly calling out "other door". Not only that, but they let the bad singers sing their ear splitting song much longer than they need to to know that the singer is bad. It's tedious, almost unwatchable. It's way too contrived. I just want them to skip to the top twenty. That's when the show starts to get good, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm just a little personally offended, too, because Simon said that my dear, beautiful town of Minneapolis has no talent!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree.. Brett and I thought it was mean because it made you be judgemental wanting to say "look at that weirdo!" The judges were pretty rood too, but that's the nature of the show I guess! Personally I don't really like it much but we watch it for some reason anyway!

Valerie said...

I love watching American Idol, but I don't ever tune into the show much until it gets a little farther in the season. We caught just a few minutes of last night's show and that was enough! These first episodes are lame. I also didn't like his cuts on Seattle. ;(

Anonymous said...

good thing they didn't go to fallon. i would be totally offended!!:)
alisha

Anonymous said...

okay...maybe I am totally evil, but the first few weeks of AI are my favorite. I love it. I kind of stop watching once everyone can sing well...

I do agree though, that this season is excessive and it is starting to sound really contrived, and I swear some of the "acts" are staged...

Houston totally got ripped apart by Simon a few years ago too...that's just his nature, but for some reason he doesn't bother me as much as Randy(GAG) and Paula(DOUBLE GAG)...

Scott said...

Yo, dog!! You don't like Randy? Really? I mean c'mon?!
Does anybody else find it hard to imagine Randy Jackson playing Bass for Journey? Just isn't a paradigm I'm willing to accept . . .

Kristen P. said...

The laughing fits from the judges is the most cruel thing EVER! SO they can't sing...you don't need to laugh uncontrolably. It's unprofessional and mean. The other night Simon was actually controlling his composure better than the other two hooligans! Some of these people actually think that they can sing well. Can't we just let them think that?

Britta said...

Speaking of professional, I thought it was funny when Simon snaped at the other two that they weren't being professional. Then they made another dumb comment and he, like a five year old, threw his hands in the air, then crossed his arms tightly over his chest and gave everyone the silent treatment. How very professional.