Thursday, November 16, 2006

Soccer Mom (or hockey, or dance, or gymnastics)

This week Marcus is having a special hockey training camp. He has had two hours of hockey scheduled every night so far this week. That's a lot of hockey! (especially when you're seven.) Have any of you ever had to put on or wear all the equipment for ice hockey? I think I stuck out like a sore thumb amid all the hockey moms and dads. Imagine a woman trying to piece together at least sixteen pieces of uniform that she's never seen before onto a seven-year-old boy (who becomes increasingly immoble during the process), during which a two year old boy takes every opportunity to climb up her back to her shoulders when she squats down, and a five year old girl aimlessly waves the hockey stick nearby, occasionally hitting the nine year old girl who is trying to ignore the whole situation and trying to take charge of it at the same time. It makes me laugh just to think of it! I'm surprised more people didn't just laugh out right when they saw us.

These kids are busy kids! There's not just hockey, but dance, gymnastics, piano, violin, play groups, library storytimes... and it's just wednesday! Today (after violin, but before hockey) we had a little window of time so we went to the park.

Do you remember loving tire swings? I had totally forgotten what a rush it was to play on a tire swing. I didn't play on one tonight, but watching the kids reminded me of how coveted those tire swings were in my elementary school.

Alas, tomorrow marks the end of my week with the kids. It has been fun and busy, but I miss Scott and I am ready to sleep in my own bed again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a busy week!!! sounds like the "instafamily" is more work than i thought. i guess that's why we're all broke in one at a time.

Mom and Dad Pete said...

What an experience--it's true--you're constantly running from one thing to the next--nothing like jumping right into the the 'frying pan!'Sounds fun though.

nettie said...

lol..sounds like FUN!!!

Valerie said...

Makes me tired just thinking of the hockey uniform scenario. What fun for you!