Sunday, January 30, 2011

Food Prices still rising?


So I read a short article today about how food prices are bound to continue to rise through this next year, especially if there's any natural disaster.

My first reaction to this article was: Whew! I'm so glad we have a prophet who warned us to prepare a food storage and learn how to live from it.

My second reaction, after reading some of these comments was: Everyone has a finger to point at a different problem, government, or corporation. Food price is an extremely complicated issue and "fixing" any one thing probably won't make a difference.

Here is a comment I found particularly amusing, pointing it's finger at government subsidization programs:
Want some fun proof of how good intentioned laws can be super stupid. We subsidise corn crops, for lots of reasons and we did even before ethanol technology. Because of this subsidization corn syrup is the cheapest form of sweetener, and soda is cheap to make as a result. Due to climbing obesity rates many states have passed a soda tax. Let me break this down, the government is artificially cheapening an ingredient it is now over taxing on the other end. Any one else see a problem with this or am I crazy?
It kind of made me laugh. Crazy crazy world. Just learn to live within your control, I guess.

No comments: