Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mmmmm, Dirt

I've decided to plant a garden this spring. For those of you who remember last year's garden, it failed. After I had Grace all my little plants died from neglect. This year that will not happen. My garden is already growing outside!

Today Grace joined me while I gardened. It gets complicated when Grace wants to be where I am
and do what I'm doing.
So to keep my plants alive, I had to intervene by picking Grace off the garden over and over. I was trying to plant seeds in the second garden box, but Grace kept crawling on the first. After 15 minutes of getting no gardening done, I gave in and let Grace have at it. I hadn't planted any seeds yet, so I put her on the dirt.

She reveled in it. She started by digging her fingers and toes in the soft, moist soil.
Followed by quality checks in taste
and rubbing the dirt all over her body.
I guess the soil passed her approval. After rubbing it all the way up her body, she rejoiced with hands in the air.
Then gave it an applause.
I didn't have any confetti on hand for her, but she was resourceful and celebrated by throwing the dirt up in the air
again
and again.
Needless to say, our dirt fest ended in the bath tub. It was a fun afternoon, but I hope this doesn't happen every time I have to weed my garden...

8 comments:

StephenEmily Stacey said...

You know that it will happen EVERY single time that you head out in the backyard now:) Cute pictures!

Alisha said...

such a great post! my only problem is that you let her eat it...isn't that dung not just dirt? eh, builds her immune system.

Valerie said...

Adorable pictures! I love it. She looks like she's in heaven.

Britta said...

Bear Grill eats dung all the time. Maybe Grace has a future as Woman vs. Wild.

No, I actually pulled her hand away from her mouth more times than I could count. She didn't get that much dirt in. But the little that did get in, yes, it's there to build that immune system.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a textbook on how children learn from their environment through experimentation... including the order of how their senses work. Oral first - taste, touch, how can I control it?, how can I get rid of it? What is your reaction to me while I do this?
It's all there. Beautiful. Hopefully the MO child protection agency won't be at your door soon.
Love, Dad

SeanMorello.com said...

So cute. Now put the hose in that and let her have some REAL fun. ;)

Jen said...

oops, i'm apparently signed in as Sean, aka "Art." It's me, Jen. :)

Kristen P. said...

did you think of the brown pants before you went out there? if you did, you are a genius! it's so hard for me to let the boys get dirty, hence sam's hand-me-downs are pristine for the most part. And I must mention that she is SO SO adorable. I love her cute face!