Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Such a disappointment

I don't normally get political in this blog, but I just wanted to make a little comment after reading a couple articles about a recent poll done by NBC and WSJ.

In summary, Obama's approval rating has dipped below 50% for the first time. I tend to be a critic of all politicians. That being said, I read a lot of his book The Audacity Of Hope and thought he sounded like a nice Democrat. He seemed like a good candidate to try and reach across party lines and unify the country as president (which was a big campaign point for me--reaching across party lines).

However, now that he's been in office for a year I can't think of one specific instance where he tried to compromise between parties. Lately, with all this talk about private meetings he's having with Senate Democrats to try and force the Health Care Bill through faster, I feel sick to my stomach that he is in charge. Not only is he not reaching across party lines, I feel like he's trying to steamroll the other side.

I wish there were more support for Independent politicians who aren't attached to parties or lobbyist obligations... Is there such a thing as politics for the good of the constituents anymore? It's such a mess. I am more disillusioned with politics than I've ever been.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I agree it is disappointing, but it really doesn't surprise me considering his past. He had the most liberal voting record in the senate, and all of his past and current associations don't warrant much faith in him taking a centrist position.

sherri said...

Ditto on the dems being disillusioned and a big disappointment. I didn't realize they are capable of some things they are doing!

Amy said...

I was so sad to hear about the health bill getting pushed through. I just feel like the nation is in a downward spiral, headed by a superstar that got elected because he was cool and popular, but is not good for the nation at all.