Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Dancing, running and sweet rewards

I was blessed with an awesome Birthday weekend. I think a big part of it was the realization two days before my B-day that I can't do it all anymore. It's bittersweet to me, but I have finally decided I can't keep up 30 hours of work per week. I'm too stressed out. Once I got that out of the way, enjoying my birthday weekend was great!

Friday night Scott and I enjoyed dinner and dancing (and free babysitting) for his school's annual Holiday celebration. Thank you Stacey's for the photo.

Saturday morning I ran in the Reindeer Romp 4 mile Race. Hurray for 10 minute miles! I don't call myself a "runner", I am proudly a "jogger." They gave all the competitors jingle bells to wear on their shoes. It was fun!
Saturday night was a community Christmas singing event at my church. I was able to sing with both my church choir and the Kirksville Community Chorus (p.s. locals, if you want a fun, musical and festive Monday night activity our concert is next Monday, Dec 14 7:30 pm @ the First Christian Church on Washington St).

On Sunday after church, my birthday gift to myself was indulging in making a cake. But not just any old cake from a box, probably the most labor intensive cake I've ever made in my life (not including decorations). It was a blast. Especially because I didn't care how it looked. I just wanted to make something exotic that I'd never done that tasted great.
The cake was a cream cheese pound cake (same recipe as the petit fours) with two varieties of homemade mousse, white chocolate and raspberry. mmmm. Note to self: cutting a 10" cake into layers with an 8" knife doesn't work very well. Good thing I was going for taste and not appearance. Although, I was pretty pleased with the look of the layers in the slices.

The abundance of leftovers (after the one slice each Scott and I ate) went with Scott to school where I was able to offer hard-working med students a nice little treat and they didn't care how it looked. Everyone wins!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Your cake turned out great! I'm glad you ran the race. And I'm glad that you enjoyed your birthday. One year older and wiser too right?:)

Alisha said...

10 min miles is what i'm all about!! we coul def be running partners! good for you for realizing that you can't do it all. grace will be demanding more and more of your attention. your cake looks yummy! happy birthday. i love you