Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ring around a story

Scott purchased my engagement ring from a jewler in Utah at a screaming deal. He didn't purchase a wedding band until right before we got married when we were living in Minnesota. I remember shopping for it at the Mall of America. We found an anniversary band that was really close to the look of the engagement band: it had small diamonds across it and it was white gold... and it also was a screaming deal. We felt so lucky!

It wasn't until later that I started noticing things about the wedding band that didn't quite fit. First, it was slightly smaller, so on extra warm days when my fingers got swollen it didn't fit my finger. Second, the shade of the white gold was more yellow than the engagement band. Third, the wedding band didn't get scratched up as much as the engagement band. Fourth, the wedding band was considerably lighter than the engagement band. We knew they were different karats, so I just assumed the wedding band was made more cheaply.

I brought my rings to a jeweler this week because I finally decided to fix the sizing of the wedding band. There was also a prong out of place on the engagement band. To my suprise, when we got the rings back the jewler told me my engagement band was not white gold! I was shocked! At first I was like, oh man, that's why Scott got such a screaming deal. Someone was ripping us off. But no. It turns out the ring is platinum! So that's why they look so different. Scott's feeling pretty pleased with himself that this funny mistake happened--he was told the ring was white gold and got a really good deal for white gold. Now that it's platinum, it's an even better deal. Go figure.

2 comments:

sherri said...

Lovely ring--lovely deal! Leave it up to Scott to find the deals!!!!

Stacey Kirchner said...

NICE!!