Monday, November 17, 2008

Impetus

im⋅pe⋅tus [im-pi-tuh s]
noun, plural -tus⋅es.
1. a moving force; impulse; stimulus: The grant for building the opera house gave impetus to the city's cultural life.
2. (broadly) the momentum of a moving body, esp. with reference to the cause of motion.

Have you ever been involved in a conversation and a word pops out of your mouth that fits perfectly into what you're trying to say, and it's a cool word that you don't remember ever using before? That happened to me today. I feel cool cause I used the word 'impetus' and it was just what I meant to say.

(This makes me especially happy considering my speak impediment.)

6 comments:

Jamie and Julie said...

Usually the word that fits perfectly is the one I can't remember at the moment.

K.E.N said...

I can't even think of a sentance that I would be saying that impetus would be the word I was looking for-but I bet you sure sounded smart!

Valerie said...

I love the word impetus. Awesome to use it right when you need it. I always think of what I should have said/meant to say later when I think back on a conversation!

)en said...

Man, i am jealous. I have had that happen before and you are right, it is the perfect day when it does. I am also excited to click on that "speak impediment" link.

)en said...

Ok, I'm back from reading and i just died laughing. Rub the chili. So dang funny. "No Mom...why? i don't want to do that..."

Amy said...

I just met up with an old smart friend from college today--she moved back to Utah after living in Oklahoma for 10 years. She would use words like that in her conversation all the time! And you know how you tend to talk the same way to someone, whether they have an accent or whatever? Well, I tried using larger vocabulary words in my sentences as well, but I think I got most of the meanings wrong. I used to be smart, but I feel like a complete numbskull when it comes to my speech lately. So, good for you!