Monday, June 06, 2011

White coral bells upon a slender stalk...

...Lily of the Valley line my garden walk.
Oh don't you wish that you could hear them ring?
That can happen only when the fairies sing.

Whenever I see lily of the valley, I think of my mom. These and lilacs are her favorite smelling flowers. I think of sitting in a canoe with my mom and sister in the middle of Many Point Lake on a foggy morning, hearing the eerie sound of loons, hoping to catch a glimpse of one, singing the white coral bell song in a round over and over again. Of course, we learned the song from my mom.

For the first time in my life, I have lily of the valley lining the path to my door! I have this song and memory in my head constantly.

2 comments:

Alisha said...

this post was so poetic...lovely.

Grace Baxter said...

I was singing that song in my car today, all by
myself! It came to me out of the blue. I
learned White Coral Bells as a child,
and learned to play it on the piano at a
young age. Moments ago, I looked up the
plant by the same name. Somewhat disappointing.
But Lily of the Valley is a pretty, sweet-smelling
spring flower. I plan on teaching the song to my
wee granddaughter who loves to sing. She is only
2-1/2 and sings herself to sleep at night.