Friday, August 28, 2009

Front Porch

I used to think that front porches were old fashioned, no one uses them anymore. Now I wish I had one. I love sitting out on our front step and watching the cars, people and ice cream truck go by. Grace really enjoys it too. In fact, that's probably why I do it so often. Also, I love catching the ice cream man.


In the past I have looked at some people's yards and thought, "gosh, if they just mowed their lawn" or "if they just planted one shrub" or "if they just spread some weed killer, their lawn would look SO nice." I know, it probably wasn't very appropriate of me to judge. I have learned my lesson. I never thought I would be one of the people who LIVED in a house like that. As I sit on my front step with my beautiful baby and look at my yard, this is what I see. First here is the sidewalk that leads to our front door.

When we had our sewage line replaced they tore out part of the sidewalk. We placed some cement square pavers as a temporary fix, but haven't gotten around to replacing them with anything permanent. Now you can hardly see the pavers at all.


Next is our overgrown front planter. I promise, I have weeded this. But then I got scared away by the poison ivy.


Looking at the front planter might lead your eyes to the nice new windows we had put on our house in the spring.... the new windows surrounded by the old flaking trim...


"if only those people painted their trim, that house would be SO cute!" Which then leads me to the sad state of the front railing.


And finally, we really need to replace our mailbox.


With all these little fixes I know I could make our house so irresistible! But, alas, I have become one of those people with a neglected lawn and home. Between my new baby, my 30 hour per week job that keeps me busy every moment that baby is sleeping, cooking dinner, cleaning laundry, and my husband who is a full-time medical student, there just isn't time to do everything! So my yard and home maintenance will continue to be on the back burner. I have been humbled. I will try to not judge a family by their yard any more.

4 comments:

K.E.N said...

ditto!

Sarah Peterson said...

houses and yards take SOO much work! It is crazy how much time can go into it! Our lawns have always struggled even without countless hours of weeding, fertilizing, watering, mowing... Maybe there is a magic secret we don't know to that perfect lawn? Your house is still cute! I would LOVE a front porch. We sit out on our front steps all the time too ;)

Alisha said...

lol.
at least you have grass.
i have a rock front lawn.

Anonymous said...

Amber:

Welcome to the startling realities of home ownership.

But don't worry so much, I'm sure everything looks much better from the street ;)